Wednesday, April 28, 2010

My final blog... until I think of something more

It is done. We’ve come to the end of our careers as English majors, and we realize that, according to Derek, we shall just continue on, waiting tables at the Olive Garden and going to school. That actually sounds pretty good to me.

I found myself tearing up today when I heard the third group give their rendition of the collective knowledge shared by our class. At first I thought it amusing to hear how they fit the various stories together, but then Lisa began telling the story of my sister and I in the raspberry patch at my Grandpa’s house in CT. I realized how poorly I wrote that blog entry…. I guess I still have yet to learn to proof read anything, but I guess I can learn that in grad school.

Once she had finished, the next blurb began, and it all fit together so seamlessly. It made me realize that we are all connected by this class, and we will all meet in Laramie, WY for the eclipse. We won’t remember to do this by marking it on our calendars because let’s face it, we go through too many cell phones, planners, and computers to ever have that one plan stay with us for the next couple of years; however, news of the upcoming eclipse will reach us, and we will, for a moment, be in the still point once more. Our experiences as an English major will rush back to us, and an eclipse will spur an ephiphanic moment, greater than any other beforehand. We will meet in Laramie, WY and experience the terror collectively.

In our end is our beginning, but this is not the end, for we have not seen the eclipse. We will continue to pass through life, fulfilling our sacred duties, and we will dodge many bricks… or our papers will reflect the wrath of shaman Sexson, and we’ll die of heartache (or throwing up a brick that we pull from Hamilton Hall in the air and standing under it) for not graduating.

Today was truly elegiac. Not because of a string of our stories or a funeral, but because it was our last true class. It was the last time we heard each other’s words. It was the last time that we saw each other’s personalities shine through. It was the last time that we could hear Nick’s wordy-ness. It was the last time.


I will miss everyone even though I did not know everyone. I have learned more from this class than I learned in all of my other classes combined. You are all my teachers, and I will forever hold you in my heart because I have gained so much knowledge from you. Thank you all so much for the best semester of my college career. I feel like crying; this is so bittersweet. I might find a book to randomly throw at a wall, just because I'm an English major; that's what we do.


:)

1 comment:

  1. You're right in our end is our beginning. The fact that you learned more from that class is just great. And I gain so much knowledge from those who always write an essay for me online. Our knowledge should be updated from time to time as everyday life gives us the opportunity to gain new knowledge and experience.

    ReplyDelete